Recent messages on the list make me reflect on some of my longstanding assumptions regarding dedications of wells to saints (and similar names). I've tended not to question them, but is this legitimate as more information has come to light?

My first assumption is that there were once rather more saints' wells in England than they are now. This is based on two observations. First, that wells are indeed often numerous in some English towns where a particular antiquarian took a special interest in them or where the records are good (Stamford, for instance, we have six or seven depending whether you interpret Poule Well as 'St Paul's', or Durham, with four or five), implying that the numbers we know about are more a matter of the accidents of historiography rather than the real situation; and secondly, lots of wells seem to have lost their saints' names after the Reformation. There are plenty of English examples, and in France saints' wells seem to be more numerous even in rural parishes (eg the four in the parish of Saintines in l'Oise, quoted by M Roblin).

My second assumption is the linkage between the dedication of the local church and that of the well. Clearly this does hold in many places, but in Buckinghamshire I found only one (St Firmin, North Crawley) and Surrey looks like producing no more than a couple too.

Thoughts and reflections, ladies and gentlemen?

James