Dear Virginia, Dear All,

'The wells of rocky Cumberland' can be found at the end of a
contribution by Mackenzie E.C. Walcott to Notes & Queries 5th ser 1
(1874) pp473-4. He is writing about well-dressing in general, and as he
doesn't mention Cumberland in his main description, it's not clear
whether this is an unsourced quotation or whether it's his own verse
paraphrase from one of the prose passages in the Cumberland local
historians. I suspect the latter, as contributors to NQ were liable to
break into occasional verse sometimes.

Much of Notes & Queries can be found at
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/ilej/journals/: they're halfway through
digitising series 4 at the moment. Like G.K. Chesterton's ditchwater,
'it teems with quiet fun' and I spent an afternoon pulling out
references to holy wells. In case it saves anyone else trouble, here's
the list, as far as series 5:-

Simpson, W. Sparrow, 1852, 'Churchyard well and bath' [at East Dereham],
Notes & Queries 1st ser 5: 81.
Rawlinson, Robert, 1852, 'Springs and wells', Notes & Queries 1st ser 6:
28-9.
Allan, Robert J., 1852, 'Springs and wells', Notes & Queries 1st ser 6:
96-7.
'Leicestriensis', 1852, 'Springs and wells, monkish burials, etc.' [at
Leicester], Notes & Queries 1st ser 6: 152-3.
'Agmond', 1852, 'Wells and springs' [near Liverpool], Notes & Queries
1st ser 6: 304-5.
'Seleucus', 1852, 'Springs and wells' [in Wales], Notes & Queries 1st
ser 6: 497.
Gibson, William Sidney, 1853, 'The ancient custom of well-flowering' [at
Tissington], Notes & Queries 1st ser 7: 280-1.
Quiller-Couch, Thomas, 1854, 'St. Nun's well, etc.: with a notice of
some remains of ancient well worship', Notes & Queries 1st ser 10:
396-8.
Walcott, Mackenzie E.C., 1857, 'St. Leonard's Well' [at Winchelsea],
Notes & Queries 2nd ser 4: 145.
Macduff, Sholto, 1857, 'St. Ann's Wells', Notes & Queries 2nd ser 4:
318.
Williams, John, 1860, 'St. Govor's Well' [at Kensington], Notes &
Queries 2nd ser 9: 388-9.
Dalton, J., 1864, 'St. Withburge's Well, East Dereham, Norfolk', Notes &
Queries 3rd ser 6: 29-30.
Dalton, J., 1865, 'St. Withburga's Well at East Dereham, Norfolk', Notes
& Queries 3rd ser 8: 247.
Winnington, Thomas E., 1867, 'Wells in churches', Notes & Queries 3rd
ser 12: 235.
W.H.R.M., 1868, 'Wells in churches', Notes & Queries 4th ser 1: 277-8.
Pollard, W., 1871, 'Our Lady of Holywell' [in Lincolnshire], Notes &
Queries 4th ser 8: 32-3.
W.E.B., 1871, 'Our Lady of Holywell', Notes & Queries 4th ser 8: 98.
Walcott, Mackenzie E.C., 1874, 'Well-dressing at Tissington', Notes &
Queries 5th ser 1: 473-4.
Scott, J.R., 1875, 'St. Syriack's Pond' [at Brabourne in Kent], Notes &
Queries 5th ser 3: 244-5.
Bone, John W., 1875, 'St. Govor's Well, Kensington Gardens', Notes &
Queries 5th ser 4: 427.
Buckley, W.E., 1875, 'St. Govor's Well', Notes & Queries 5th ser 4: 523.

Bailey, John E., 1878, 'Pin wells', Notes & Queries 5th ser 10: 158-9.

Jeremy Harte