From: WATER TALK - the email discussion list for springs and spas enthusiasts [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeremy Harte
Sent: 26 March 2007 20:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Saints' Wells

Dear All,

Perhaps a bit late to respond to this thread, but I've been mulling over James' suggestion that there used to be more saints' wells in England than there are now, and I wonder if that's right. If anything, there may have been fewer saints' wells in England at any given time in the Middle Ages than there are now, given that nobody then was doing the kind of archival searches for which we are now grateful to James.

This thought was triggered by a long day spent in in the Edwardian gravitas of Bristol Central Library - marvellous building, helpful people - where I was following up some references in Phil Quinn's book. Bristol has a lcreditable tradition of topography, going back to William Worcestre, who would climb down a vertical cliff face to inspect St. Vincent's Cave and was clearly not the sort of chap to neglect a holy well if he saw one. It has also had repeated modern studies of its mediaeval layout. But for that, we have only three holy wells: St. Edith's (the one which is at Stourhead now), St. Mary's, and a single reference to Pithay Pump being called Hollywell.

Bristol is England's second city, unless you come from York... there's a useful league ranking in Bob Hoskins' Local History in England p176, based on two sets of C14 tax quotas. If you combine these, the top six cities in England come out as Bristol/ York, Lincoln, Norwich, Newcastle, and Salisbury. As far as I can see, the others were all much like Bristol, with three or so holy wells in the city. The next six in ranking include Shrewsbury with three, Oxford with two (well, three if you count Holywell in the suburbs) and Coventry with one (assuming that St. Catherine's is mediaeval) but also Kings Lynn, Boston and Great Yarmouth which, to the best of my knowledge, didn't have any holy wells at all.

Stamford, as it happens, comes in fortieth in the ranking, being rather less than a quarter the size of Bristol. I would guess that where other religious provision is concerned - churches, chapels, guilds etc. - Bristol did have slightly over four times as many as Stamford. But I find it hard to believe that it had 24 holy wells, and that 21 of them have just vanished from the record without trace.

Another thing: several of the holy wells in these old cities are known from one reference only. There seems to be just the one record of the St. Mary's Well in Bristol, or St. Mary's in Southampton, or St. Martin's in Winchester, or All Saints' Well in Colchester, and significantly these are mentioned as reference points in abuttals of property, not as sources of baptismal water or recipients of bequests. It looks very much as if 'St. Martin's Well' means, not 'the well where we may be in touch with the power of St. Martin', but 'that well in the ditch, you know, the one near St. Martin's Church'. Pulchre Well in Leicester is clearly the well near St. Sepulchre's; the Holy Sepulchre didn't, as it were, have any personal interest in its waters.

Just because a well has a saint's name doesn't mean it had a saint's cult (Tristan has made the same point in the past). It may be that the number of culted wells has always been very small, perhaps one or two in each county, but that in the nature of things there cults come and go, and then we gather together all the evidence of the centuries and say 'Ah, the Age of Faith! What a lot of holy wells there must have been in those days'.

Well, it's a theory. What does anyone think?

Jeremy Harte

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be

legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).

use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be

unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the

sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk

www.mimesweeper.com