On 30-Nov-08, at 9:08 AM, Neil Jacobs wrote:

> Thanks Stevan,
> You're right, of course, the report does not cover policies.  The
> brief for the work was to look for practical ways that subject/
> funder and institutional repositories can work together within the
> constraints of the current policies of their host organisations.
> There are discussions to be had at the policy level, but we felt
> that there were also practical things to be done now, without
> waiting for that.

Hi Neil,

I was referring to the JISC report's recommendations, which mention a
number of things, but not how to get the repositories filled (despite
noting the problem that they are empty).

It seems to me that the practical problems of what to do with -- and
how to work together with -- empty repositories are trumped by the
practical problem of how to get the repositories filled.

Moreover, the solution to the practical problem of how the
repositories (both institutional and subject/funder) can work together
is by no means independent of the practical problem of how to get them
filled -- including the all-important question of the locus of direct
deposit:

The crucial question (for both policy and practice) is whether direct
deposit is to be divergent and competitive (as it is now, being
sometimes institutional and sometimes central) or convergent and
synergistic (as it can and ought to be), by systematically mandating
convergent institutional deposit, reinforced by both institutional and
funder mandates, followed by central harvesting -- rather than
divergent, competing mandates requiring deposits willy-nilly,
resulting in confusion, understandable resistance to divergent or
double deposit, and, most important, the failure to capitalize on
funder mandates so as to reinforce institutional mandates.

Institutions, after all, are the producers of all refereed research
output, in all subjects, and whether funded or unfunded. Get all the
institutions to provide OA to all their own refereed research output,
and you have 100% OA (and all the central harvests from it that you
like).

As it stands, however, funder and institutional mandates are pulling
researchers needlessly in divergent directions. And (many) funder
mandates in particular, instead of adding their full weight behind the
drive to get all refereed research to be made OA, are thinking,
parochially, only of their own funded fiefdom, by arbitrarily
insisting on direct deposit in central repositories that could easily
harvest instead from the institutional repositories, if convergent
institutional deposit were mandated by all -- with the bonus that all
research, and all institutions, would be targeted by all mandates.

It is not too late to fix this. It is still early days. There is no
need to take the status quo for granted, especially given that most
repositories are still empty.

I hope the reply will not be the usual (1) "What about researchers
whose institutions still don't have IRs?": Let those author's  deposit
provisionally in DEPOT for now, from which they can be automatically
exported to their IRs as soon as they are created, using the SWORD
protocol. With all mandates converging systematically on IRs, you can
be sure that this will greatly facilitate and accelerate both IR
creation and IR deposit mandate adoption. But with just unfocussed
attempts to accommodate to the recent, random, and unreflecting status
quo, all that is guaranteed is to perpetuate it.

Nor is the right reply (2) "Since all repositories, institutional and
subject/funder, are OAI-interoperable, it doesn't matter where authors
deposit!" Yes, they are interoperable, and yes, it would not matter
where authors deposited -- if they were indeed all depositing in one
or the other. But most authors are not depositing, and that is the
point. Moreover, most institutions are not mandating deposit at all
yet and that is the other point. Funder mandates can help induce
institutions -- the universal research providers -- to create IRs and
adopt institutional deposit mandates if the funder mandates are
convergent on IR deposit. But funder mandates have the opposite effect
if they instead insist on central deposit. So the fact that both types
of repository are interoperable is beside the point.

Une puce à l'oreille (not to be confused with a gadfly),

Stevan Harnad