From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 04 January 2018 09:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thersmere

Dear Keith, Dear All,

There’s the unlocated fieldname Thursmare 1227 in PN E Riding p328. Also perhaps relevant are Thrusmyre C15 in Wighill and Thursemyer 1553 in Broughton, PN W Riding 4 p244 and 6 p44; and le Thursemyre in Windermere, PN Westmorland 1 p198. There are also compounds of grendel with mere, and Grendel the literary character is described as a žyrs.

Jeremy Harte