Collins pre-dates the first printed edition of DB (Farley 1783), and in 1740 I suppose few people would have had access to the original.   So I wonder whether a different Domesday Book has been confused with the famous one.   For example, the Ipswich Domesday of 1521 would be likely to contain information on the land-holdings of the Suffolk Tollemache family.   However, it is unpublished so I can't check it for Toedmag easily.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 19 February 2018 12:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Toedmag

Arthur Collins, The Baronettage of England (1740) says, 1 p70, https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MelEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=collins+%22hugh+talmashe%22&source=bl&ots=5umHfht1KN&sig=DVIebWEgd-6yZaygdHGGYAlXnlM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_tubH_rHZAhVB1RQKHRgAC1oQ6AEINzAC#v=onepage&q=collins%20%22hugh%20talmashe%22&f=false), says ‘in Doomsday-Book, Toedmag (as the name was then spelt) is said to possess Lands {Ex Inf. Lio. E. of Dysert}’.

If you have a ouija board handy, I’d have a word with that Lio. (who turns out to be Lionel Tollemache, 4th Earl of Dysart, Lord Huntingtower) and ask him what he’s playing around at.

Jeremy Harte