ME crud, crudde 'curd' is recorded by OED from 1362.    In Suffolk I've noted a Cruddemelne 1319 in Bures and a Cruddeslane 1325 in Ipswich.  Are these named from the dairy product?   I don't see the word in Smith's Elements, nor in the books of Field on field-names.    Is a "curd-mill" plausible?   The Ipswich lane is complicated by the fact that Crudde is a recorded 13th-century surname in the town, but I believe this surname will be the 'curd' word.

Keith

To unsubscribe from the EPNL list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EPNL&A=1