The suggestion that Merkne is a corrupt form is probably a good one.    But the regular gen.pl. of mearc is mearca (mearcena would have to be analogical).  Also, the name reappears in the Kirkstead Psalter (Skelton & Harvey p.80) in the text distans aliquantulum de Merkue (or Merkne).  Could the correct form be Merkm'e (for Merkmere) 'boundary mere'?   After all, the next name in sequence on the map is Mermouth.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Geoff Tann <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 09 July 2018 08:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Merkne (Lincs)

I've forwarded Keith's posts on this to Dr Rob Wheeler and he has offered this contribution:

I have some doubt as to whether Merkne is a place at all.  The places on the map that belonged to Revesby or to Kirkstead Abbeys are joined by wiggly lines.  The other type of name occurs as a ribbon across the map.  I suspect this ribbon is an abbreviated recitation of a boundary description "from Mapelbusk in Scirwodhirn, down to Helmerpit, ..."  Just because the description was remembered, it does not follow that anyone in the 13th c. knew where eg Helmerpit actually was: there is no later reference to it that I am aware of.  And might merkne be a genitive plural, arising through the full description reading 'along the line of boundary stakes'?

Geoff Tann.