Perhaps we should be looking for fay in earlier names, since "fairy" is originally an abstract 'fay realm'?

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 24 January 2019 09:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fairies and Glow-worms

No, I take it back, there are some seventeenth-century Fairy- names: Fayraye Gill 1606 in Sedbergh (PN Yorks WR 6 p267) and Fayrye Hole 1641 in Hexton (PN Herts p112). This gets closer to the early sixteenth century, which I think is when ‘fairy’ replaced reflexes of ælf in regional vernaculars.

There must be a gap in time between the arrival of a word in the common vocabulary and its appearance as an element in place-names,  but how long is that gap? The old rhyme says that:

‘Turkeys, heresy, hops and beer

Came into England all in one year’,

and all four innovations proved lastingly popular, though I think only turkeys and hops feature in the onomasticon. But how long did it take between 1535 and their first appearance in place-names?

Jeremy Harte