Jeremy: thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not convinced by a V-shaped estuary entrance.  I don't think there's any database of the kind you mention.   It's quite easy to antedate OED on place-name elements, but our evidence is not usually of a kind acceptable to them, because it doesn't come with a context defining the sense.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 13 March 2019 14:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fishbane (Suffolk)

Dear Keith, Dear All,

There’s a Herringbone Field on the TM for Stapleford Abbots (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=2ahUKEwjww-Dfqv_gAhU3DWMBHX5YDNYQFjALegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww1.essex.ac.uk%2Fhistory%2Fesah%2Fessexplacenames%2FBooks%2FStapleford%2520Abbots.doc&usg=AOvVaw3pnSaX1RHw8KwXySkdVLOg) and a glance at the map suggests this it was V-shaped. As the Orwell makes a V-shaped turn at the estuary (at least, it does now) could this be the point of reference for Fyshhbane?

Congratulations on beating the OED. Is there a record kept in the vast underground bunkers of the EPNS for toponymic citations of words which antedate first forms in the dictionary?

Jeremy Harte