Fishbourne is completely impossible; the word bourne never occurs without -r-, and the vowel never deviates from [u].

A fish-trap in this area is plausible (remnants of such claimed to be of Anglo-Saxon date have been found in Essex estuaries), but I suspect Danish bane in the sense of `track, way, course' is a recent borrowing from German.    Peder or Gillian - can you advise on this?

Keith

________________________________
From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Dougherty <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 March 2019 01:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fishbane (Suffolk)

Then again could it have been an East Anglian pronunciation of Fishbourne, which famously has a parallel near Chichester?

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Mar 2019, at 10:00, Keith Briggs <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Jeremy: thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not convinced by a V-shaped estuary entrance.  I don't think there's any database of the kind you mention.   It's quite easy to antedate OED on place-name elements, but our evidence is not usually of a kind acceptable to them, because it doesn't come with a context defining the sense.

Keith