Modern "Edward" might have schwa in the second syllable, but the ME form did not.   The -en- in Ulvenlane is in a very different environment.  That kind of syllable starts weak and tends to get weaker, not get bulked up by intrusions.

The ME form for Ulf’s Lane would be Ulveslane.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Doughety <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 15 July 2020 12:43
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Ilnenelane

As you say, the -w- is not intrusive in Edward, but, though always there, it is "inserted before an unstressed schwa”, which means insertion before an unstressed schwa is not, in general, "impossible to believe”

Excellent suggestion, thank you. Yes, Wikipedia is a place of first resort and it has little if anything beyond Barnes. I think Barnes points to a possibility, but obviously isn’t evidence for any 14th century dialect.

Ulf is a strong form, but why does that mean it can’t be ?

Stephen
.