No. All we know at the moment is that the third letter is n or u (meaning v), probably the latter. Until that is clarified from the manuscripts, speculation is pointless.

But beyond this, there is the general principle that mundane, commonplace explanations based on everyday English vocabulary are far more often correct than the foreign and fantastic. Just look at the material on street-names of London, Norwich, Lincoln, York, Oxford etc. in EPNS volumes.

Keith

Get Outlook for Android

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Doughety <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 5:41:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Ilnenelane

Given that Ulnenlane used to lead into the Shambles, is Woolen Lane a possibility?

On 2 Jul 2020, at 09:27, Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

When I was a lad, I believed almost everything I read in books, and absolutely everything I read in books published by the English Place-Name Society. So I was chuffed to find, in the section on Dorchester in PN Dorset 1 p350, that Colliton Street was ‘earlier (la) Vlnen(e)lane1393–1436... Ilnen(e)lane 1401–1428... If, as seems likely, Vln-, Iln- are errors for Vlu-, Ilu-, the first of the early names probably means “elves’ lane”, either from OE elf (WSax ielf) (if en(e)- represents an analogical ME wk. gen pl., v. -ena), or, as Professor Löfvenberg suggests, from the fem. OE elfen (WSax ielfen)’. In those days I was often in Colliton Street, where the absence of surviving she-elves was a bit of a disappointment. But time has brought its compensations, one of which is a full set of the Proceedings of the Dorset Nat. Hist. & Arch. Soc, where in 117 (1195) pp21–50 I find an article by the late Jo Draper on ‘The topography of Dorchester in the fifteenth century’, which includes (pp36–8) a very full form series for this street name:
Vlnenlane 1393
Ulnenlane 1401
Ulnlane 1399, 1436
Ilnenelane 1401, 1408, 1408, 1410, 1413
Ilnenlane 1422, 1428

These are the same references as in PN Dorset but I cannot for the life of me see how Vln- and Iln- could consistently appear as an error forVlu- and Ilu-. These are borough records and the notaries were writing down the name of a street that they’d known all their lives. I think we can also rule out the possibility that the original editor, Charles Herbert Mayo, mistranscribed the name eleven times over, as Jo worked on her topography with the archivist Margaret King who went back to the originals and confirmed Mayo’s general accuracy. So all the philological learning behind Mills’ etymology has gone to waste.

But does anyone have a better one? I can see that the C14/15 forms might derive from an original ylnena lane, ‘street of the ylns’. But what the devil is an yln?

Jeremy Harte

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk