Should that be sphairistiké?

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 19 October 2020 12:10
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Epotoponym

I think we already have a term for this category – ‘paragon name’ (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9mGxBZsodzMC&pg=PA363&lpg=PA363&dq=%22paragon+name%22&source=bl&ots=Sndcg9MzCX&sig=ACfU3U0UIudI5-PkCK3RgYmiIDJVLmFt_A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikkI-lv8DsAhUXQkEAHZnPB_wQ6AEwCXoECAoQAg#v=onepage&q=%22paragon%20name%22&f=false). If I have carried over the meaning correctly, then the general linguistic examples – ‘Lope de Vega was the Spanish Shakespeare’ – will apply to the toponymic spectrum in which the local lockup is conceived as ‘our answer to Bridewell’, then as ‘our Bridewell’, then ‘Bridewell’.

It's easier to remember what a naturalised English loanword like paragon is than what a Greek formation like epitoponym (more accurately, epitopotoponym) might be. These hellenoneologisms don’t stick in the memory; when some chap invented spaeristike, nobody took any notice, but as soon as he called it lawn tennis, sales racketed.

Jeremy Harte